Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Winter Light


I took this photograph at 8:15 this morning, of the winter sunlight coming in the window, and leaving patterns and shadows on the bedroom door from the wavy glass in the window panes. The reason this happens is that in the wintertime the sun only reaches an altitude of 26 degrees above the horizon at noon. At 8:15, it is only 10 degrees above the horizon, so the light can come in the window and shine across the room. In the summer, by the way, the sun's altitude reaches 71 degrees at noon. This is funny what I do... I am trying for mystical and magical photographs, and then when I find one, do I talk about the image itself? No. I give you an astronomy lesson instead! Well, I guess I hope that the photo will stand on its own.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is for your readers, your viewers: I see how Ken works and it is so magical. He is sitting on the bed early in the morning, shaving with his electric shaver. One would think he is day dreaming about life, maybe even thinking about his beard. But suddenly he puts the razor down and jumps up, runs for his camera and starts snapping away. I am watching him, wondering what on earth he is seeing...I think it's just a door. But no, it is never "just" a door, or a tree, or the sky. At every waking moment he is looking...making photographs... ..seeing things others don't see and recording them to share.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. Spencer (fuzzy ?), thank you for the insights. What you describe is a truely gifted artist - someone who can see the forest for the trees.

Midge said...

Nice.......