Monday, January 28, 2008

New Ways of Seeing


I hoped that when I started this blog, that I would experiment with new ways of seeing. This is not an easy thing to do. When I look for photos, and when I compose my images in the viewfinder after all these years, that process is intuitive. I don't think about where the edges of the frame are, and the placement of the subject within the frame is, for the most part, automatic. So it has to be a conscious decision to try and see in new ways. I think that I have done that here. What makes it different is dividing the frame into sections, and finding something interesting in each section. I was sitting in traffic when I saw this, and the lightbulb went off in my head, and I grabbed the camera. I like this, and will spend time thinking about how I can apply this to my day-to-day work.

7 comments:

Amy said...

Yeah, that's cool. I like that! :)

Anonymous said...

At first I did't like it but on closer inspection I also think it is cool - check out how many places you see light - from the speedometer to the traffic light to the reflection in the rear view mirror. (are you sure this is not an LA shot ?)

Anonymous said...

an intriguing idea, these sections, and so interesting to watch your mind work. ever since i have known you, i have admired how hard you try, and your blog is a case study in enthusiasm and effort. you are a role model for all of us.

Anonymous said...

there shud be a statue of u as 'the thinking photographer'!!

Anonymous said...

I love it too, but I especially love that the speedometer says "0."

Ken Spencer said...

This proves that I wasn't doing my normal stupid thing, where I drive with one hand and shoot with the other while I am moving!

Amy said...

ha ha, I looked at his speed, too! I thought "If that speedometer says 40, Kenny's gonna get a talking to..." :) And it's true, you do work for your shots. Some you just do by instinct, as you've said, but I like how much you still love what you do.