Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Cruisin'


WOW! Look what I found! While headed out the Long Island Expressway I slowly drove up behind THIS car and was blown away! I first photographed it from behind, but then decided I wanted a photograph more from the side, so I moved over to pass it in order to get this picture. Do you recognize this car? It is an EDSEL. And even better, and Edsel convertible. What an amazing car! I photographed another edsel a few years ago with its owner for a story, and it was so cool. A real "boat" of a car. But seeing this one just completely blew me away, it was such an amazing design - and, in mint condition. Click on it to see a larger version.

5 comments:

ken schwarz said...

I love to see classic old cars "crusin'" around town. This is not an everyday scene but a real treat to see when owners take these old cars out for some exercise. Thanks for taking this picture!

Anonymous said...

Remind me to head in the opposite direction when you're on the road with your camera! I hope you keep your seatbelt on.

Anonymous said...

This car is a 1958 Edsel Citation convertible with the optional continental kit. The "bubble skirts" were an aftermarket add-on. It is exhilarating to see cars that had REAL style, not like the melted ice cream style of current cars. You have brought a lot of gladness tonight... .

Many folks will enjoy the website edsel dot com.

Later on, other cars (Pontiacs initially) had vertical grills, but alas, this beautiful car was unappreciated. I LOVE American iron.

Sam

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you all for your comments! I particularly like the detailed information on exactly what this car was. And yes, I do wear my seatbelt.

Anonymous said...

It's a beauty!! People took pride in their cars. Glad to see this one being driven. bsk