Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Powerhouse


Last year when I visited Mass MOCA, I was wandering around, and found the old powerhouse. Some doors were open, so I snuck inside and did some photographs. I love being around abandoned buildings and machinery, which the powerhouse was full of.   So this year I went back just to look around, and imagine my surprise to find a printed sign hanging on the outside of the building, explaining its history. They have turned the powerhouse into a museum and as an exhibit about where Mass MOCA came from! I wandered in, legally this time, and did some more photographs. It is hard to say why I love this photograph, but it jumped out at me right away. I do love old machinery, so that's a big part, but it also has to do with the circles and pipes and valves, and also with the light on the machinery. So much of what draws my attention to some pictures is a mystery to me.

No comments: