Monday, August 8, 2011

"One Floor Up More Highly"


This was a huge exhibit at Mass MOCA, covering several rooms. It filled the largest gallery in the museum. I did look at their website to see what was on display, and when I read that this exhibit consisted of large pieces of styrofoam and painted dirt, I must confess I thought that this was not going to do much for me. Imagine my surprise when I arrived in the gallery and found this really amazing! The raggedly cut Styrofoam was amazing in itself. It had a feeling of pieces of iceberg. And the painted dirt had a quality that was so much more than you might think. I spent a lot of time exploring this entire room. And of course took photographs. It was tough to pick just one - the is over one hundred feet long, so there was a lot to this sculpture. This is a huge construction, by the way, reaching to the ceiling. Please click on the image to see a larger version with more detail.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a surprise. Wouldn't have expected it to be so beautiful from the description either. Looks so like a natural landscape. Love the perspective. It reminds me of your photos from out West.

Diane

Ken Spencer said...

The thing I love is that when I "decide" in my head that I probably wouldn't like something, I always appreciate when I am proven wrong!

Anonymous said...

The dirt looks like felted material - wonderful textures! bsk