Saturday, August 20, 2011

Yummmm.. Mushroom Soup!


I found this in the lawn today while mowing and realized that I could make mushrrom soup for supper! Yummmm... Oh wait, this is a fungus, not a mushroom! Mushrooms are fungi. I did some reading in Wikipedia, and they talk of the danger of trying to figure out which mushrooms are hazardous, and which are edible. "Amanita phalloides accounts for the majority of fatal mushroom poisonings worldwide" "FATAL MUSHROOM POISONING???" Their advice, not surprisingly, is to buy them in the grocery store. Those mushrooms come from mushroom farms, where they are grown in sterilized conditions. By the way, all these delicate curvey things are called "gills." Like fish, you know. This is an amazingly beautiful object, isn't it? But as beautiful as it is, maybe I will make tomato soup instead.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photo - but I am happy to hear you will not be making mushroom soup! Amazing things you gather from Wikpedia and share.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Isn't there the old refrain that people like 'em because they say "I'm a fun guy "

Or something like that... .

Sam

Ken Spencer said...

Sam:
The lurker comes out from the woodwork... :-) Very funny!

Joan:

I started reading about fungi on Wikipedia and was overwhelmed by all the information. These are complicated organisms! Whew!