Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sublime Nights With No Lights


There is good news and bad news when there is a power failure. The good news is, as I first discovered Sunday night after the Hurricane, that without a lot of stray light reflecting up into the sky, it was so dark around here that I could see the Milky Way, which is really unusual. The absolutely wonderful thing was to walk to the end of the driveway and look up the street, and it was pitch black - I could not see a thing! And the stars seemed so close, it felt as if you could touch them. In this photograph, looking up the street, the star at left is Capella, the Pleiades star cluster is above the trees in the center of the photo, and the planet Jupiter is at upper right. I had two nights of glorious dark nights, before the power came back on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I think back to you pointing out all of the stars when we were in Mexico.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Different strokes for different folks. This is unromantic, I know, but I'd rather have power. Turn on the lights, please, and I'll save my star-gazing for New Mexico or some other place where they aren't saturated with lights. But I like your glass-half-full attitude, Ken. We need people who find the silver lining in any situation. Enjoy the stars, while you can!

Anonymous said...

oh, don't rain on his parade! We love how Ken manages to find something beautiful in even the darkest (pun intended) moments. Keep it up, Ken. You're our light when the lights are out!

Anonymous said...

A wonderful sky. Glad that you had little damage and that the power outage allowed you to see that sky. Also glad you got your power back soon after.

Diane