Saturday, February 23, 2013

Magnificent Woodwork


During one of my visits to the museum, I stopped to chat with one of the guards, who was seated at the top of the stairs.  While talking to him, I happened to look to my right and saw this staircase spiraling down to the first floor.  I had just come up these same stairs but it never occurred to me to look down when I got to the top. This Georgian brick manor house was built in 1904, and then modified in 1917 by Charles Frick, whose father was one of the founders of U.S. Steel.  This oval staircase with turned balusters winds up to the third floor and is an absolute marvel of woodworking.

3 comments:

Photodude Images said...

Did the guard know what the speed record is for riding the bannister down? That bannister is just begging to ridden.

Ken Spencer said...

I never thought to ask. And I am not going to dare try this, since I am now older than a teenager... :-)

Anonymous said...

Love all the wonderful designs in the photo - sharp angles and soft curves. bsk