Friday, February 8, 2013

The Barnes Foundation

Did I mention we are in Philadelphia? I am just tagging along while Kathy attends a professional conference. She is locked in a building all day and I get to haunt my favorite museums. But THIS museum is something really special. It is a long story, and today was a pilgrimage for me. The Barnes collection of paintings is one of the world's most important collections of post-impressionist and early modern paintings (it says in the brochure.) This collection was in the mansion of Albert Barnes in Merion, Pennsylvania since 1922 and then was moved to downtown Philadelphia last May. Look up "Barnes Foundation" in Wikipedia to learn some details of the controversy. Anyhow, I have wanted to visit the collection at the mansion for the last ten years but never got around to it, and then they moved the paintings to this new building. So today I finally got to see the paintings, and the collection is stunning. I wanted to take a photograph in the gallery, but photography is not permitted. And I behaved myself. But you can at least see a picture of the new building that contains the collection, from outside.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No snow??? Did you drive to Philly?
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

We drove down here on Thursday afternoon. Friday was fine until about dinnertime, and we got some light snow. This morning (Saturday) when we woke up, there was about two inches of snow on the ground. And the roads were all salted. You got 38 INCHES? That's nuts!