Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Trying Something New


There was a speaker this evening at the astronomy club, so I was taking some photographs of him during his presentation, possibly for use on the website.  All the photographs were "normal" in their composition, but when I was doing the editing, I enlarged this photograph and was taken by how the photograph looked better when I just concentrated on his hands.  Then I decided to crop so that just his mouth was in the image, instead of his whole face.  I keep talking about trying to see things in a different way, and this is probably the best example.  It IS different.  It is not a particularly flattering picture of the subject, however.  But it does feel as if I am seeing things in a differently.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

without your explanation, i would've thought this was someone signing for the deaf. funny how images strike us differently. i'm fascinated by people who sign. pity they don't teach it in school from kindergarten until high school graduation. can you imagine how flawlessly everyone would be able to sign? same goes for learning chinese, spanish, hindu or any other language that is significant globally. just realized the thoughts your one photo provokes. amazing!

Ken Spencer said...

Thanks so much for your comments. You remind me that the subject's hands were really expressive, and that's what drew my attention to them. And I am also fascinated by people who sign. I did a story once on a comedy club, and they had a woman signing whatever the comedian said. The woman signer stole the show! She was far more expressive with her face and hands, than the performer was! it was a great moment.