Monday, February 11, 2013

The End of an Era

Tonight was the end of an era at Newsday. My colleague and good friend Bob Keeler retired from Newsday after 41 years. There was an amazing collection of tributes including videos from people like former governor of NY State Mario Cuomo, and NY Met Bud Harrelson! Wow! And there were regular people as well, and family members and friends. And two of Bob's grandchildren, who are shown here with their grandfather, and the amazing cake that was made to look like a copy of Newsday. Yeah, that thing with Bob's picture on it is a cake.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool cake. Was everything edible? The pencils, the mug, the sticky notes?

Ken Spencer said...

I think everyone just ate the cake. I mean, I like cake, but I couldn't imagine eating some sugar formed into a cup.

Anonymous said...

Sam wonders if "paragraph factory" is the same as "Melville Prison?"

Too bad that the factory doesn't yet realize what it has lost. Another of the "greatest generation" gone fishin'.

Ken Spencer said...

"The Paragraph Factory" and the "Melville Prison" are in fact, one and the same! One of the funniest "love notes" I ever got from one of my published pictures was from a fairly famous photographer. He was friends with Harvey Weber, the director of photography, and the man who hired me. He said some really nice things about one of my photographs, and then finished with a P.S. that said "I know warden Weber at your prison!" Cracked me up - so creative!