Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Tappan Zee Bridge


OK, first things first here - I was NOT driving the car when I shot this picture!  I got tired on the trip home, and took a nap while Kathy was driving.  I woke up just before we got to this bridge, and I realized that this was a perfect moment.  They have already started installing pilings for the new bridge, and it is expected to open in 2017.  This a spectacular structure - construction began in 1952, and the bridge opened in 1957, and is the longest bridge in New York State.  The total length of the bridge and approaches is 16,013 feet.  The cantilever span (what you are looking at in the photographs) is 1,212 feet long.  It is a beautiful, complex, magnificent structure, and the new bridge will not be anywhere near as interesting a bridge.

No comments: