Tuesday, May 21, 2013

What Once Was...



This is 343 State Street, the headquarters of the Eastman Kodak Company in Rochester, NY.  When I was in college in Rochester between 1960-1964 they were sitting on the top of the world.  They owned 90% of the film business in the United States in 1976.  I have shot Kodak film for most of my professional life.  They invented the first digital camera, but  when the CEO saw it he said "Great, now lock it up and don't tell anyone."  He was afraid that digital technology would cannibalize their film sales. Well, the Japanese companies like Fujifilm ate their lunch and Kodak declared bankruptcy in January of 2012.  They have sold their film business and their camera business and many of their patents, and are hanging by a thread.  It was so sad to contemplate all of this as I revisited this site and the company that has meant so much to me in my life

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad indeed. Been there and was impressed back then- even the shape and "set" of the building evokes memories of how Eastman invented the word "Kodak," to have letters always seen as upright and stable- he wanted us to see the company as durable and strong and trustworthy.

What a powerhouse of technology and art that place was.

Sam

Photodude Images said...

The thing that jumps out for me is how Kodak built this "60's modern" industrial building next to a classic tower. I don't know if it was just an era before architects attempted to blend the new with the old or another example of arrogance on the part of Kodak.