Thursday, October 12, 2023

Seventy Years


I haven't been to this place in seventy years!  This is Indian Cove, in Guilford, Connecticut.  Another spot I saw when exploring last Sunday.  When my sisters and I were young children, we would each come out to visit for a week, our grandfather and grandmother at Buttonball Farm, on Three Mile Course.  When I was about ten years old, I met Danny Bebee, another young boy who lived a few houses away.  The two of us would have lunches in paper bags and we would have our swimsuits on and ride our bikes by ourselves down along a narrow twisting road to Indian Cove.  I had no idea of how far we rode - I thought it was probably a five mile trip, so it was interesting to drive it on Sunday and find that it was only two miles!  So it was wonderful to trace my route in the car and then arrive at this beautiful little beach.  So here's an interesting fact.  When you get to Indian Cove, there are three streets where all the houses are, and the streets are named Daniel Avenue, Reeves Avenue, and, wait for it, Spencer Avenue.  My great grandfather was named Daniel Reeves Spencer!  That's all I know.  I have no idea what he did in his life, but he did live at Buttonball Farm.  My father was born at the farm, and when I was ten, my grandmother and grandfather lived there as well as my Aunt June and Uncle Norm and my two cousins, Carole and John.  What an astounding thing to come back here seventy years later!  The beach remains as I remember it from way back then.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photo of a beautiful beach. Karen, Betsey and I visited there last year after having lunch with Carole and Nancy and going to the cottage for dessert. So peaceful and calming. I remember going as a child with Grandma and then Dad and Uncle Norm making chicken barbecue at the cottage.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo. I had the same reaction when we visited last summer - that the beach looks exactly the same. Only some of the cottages and houses have changed. I remember Grandma driving to the cottage and then we would walk to the beach to go swimming. Wonderful memories for me. Betsey