Friday, October 20, 2023

Take Your Pick


This is a photograph that I did back in the 1980's I think it was.  These are the ships "Hesper" and the "Luther Little," two trade route schooners that were left abandoned in Wiscasset, Maine. Both ships were built in Massachusetts in the 1910s, and wound up under one owner by 1932. Despite efforts to make use of the two schooners, this last owner went bankrupt and died not long afterwards. Both ships were essentially abandoned where their owner had left them in Wiscasset where they disintegrated over time. Despite efforts to save the ships as tourist attractions, both were demolished in 1998 having been finally reduced to piles of debris by the elements.  I photographed them every time I was in Maine and went through Wiscasset.  All my other photographs were in black and white, but this photograph, the last, is in color.  So I made some note cards with this photograph just to have around.  Then I converted the photograph to black and white to see what it would look like.  Here it is, below.  So which version of the photograph do you like?  The prize for all of you winners will be one of my note cards.  Just tell me which photograph you like best.


For those of you who find the story of these historic schooners interesting, you might really enjoy reading more about them.  Go to Wikipedia and look for "Hesper and Luther Little."



 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice photo! I like the one in color maybe because of the contrast. I like how despite the rotting of the wood, there is still life growing around it, even on the ship. Interesting photo and amazing how many details are seen when enlarging it. Trace

Anonymous said...

I love the color photo because of the contrast. Sad story that these schooners were left to decay but there is so much detail in this photo and subtle colors. I am glad you took this wonderful color photograph 40 years ago.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I really struggled with deciding on this one! The black and white photo initially got my attention...but as I went back and forth between the two, I too will go with the color photo. It's subtle enough as to not detract from the mood of the decaying ships.
N.

Anonymous said...

Although I prefer the color photo, I really believe the black and white shows the sadness and decay of the two schooners that were left to rot. Amazing to see the schooner with its’ masts and rigging. Betsey

ken schwarz said...

I flipped back and forth several times looking at the photos. After some thought, I decided that the old fashion look of your Black & White version was, for me, in keeping with the sadness of the two old decaying schooners!

Anonymous said...

A difficult decision. I also would go back and forth but in my final viewing, I decided I could take in, without distraction of foreground color, the magnificence of the two decaying vessels.Excellent!!

Liz Spencer said...

I like the color photo because even though it has color (the continued life of the flora around), the mood of the ruins comes through in the muted light and low contrast.