Monday, August 30, 2021

A Cottage in the Woods


While wandering the grounds of the Nassau County Museum of Art, I was stopped in my tracks by the sight of this cottage through the woods.  It looks like a fairytale cottage.  I did some research and it is called the Jerusha Dewey Cottage on the grounds of the museum.  It was built by William Cullen Bryant in 1862,  for Jerusha Dewey and her brother on his property.  It is in the Gothic Revival style.  What is amazing is that because a subsequent owner needed more room, the entire cottage was raised on stilts and a new first floor was built under the original structure in 1900!  Did I mention I took this with my new camera?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so quaint and pretty. It has so many features on the outside like the wood pattern, window designs and the brick. It's a nice color too. It looks hidden by the shrubs and trees and one would just come upon in unexpectedly. Very nice! Trace

Ron said...

Recently, after seeing several homes in our town moved instead of demolished, I am amazed at how they could have done that in 1900! Now days they use all sorts of hydraulics and fancy machinery. I am so glad they did not ruin this home to build a new a one! ( great pic with the new camera!)

Anonymous said...

It does look like a fairy tale cottage. I like all the little pointed windows. the crazy roof angles and the brick under the house. betsey

Anonymous said...

Love this fairytale cottage tucked into the woods. I am so happy they raised the home to add room and preserve the beautiful architecture back in 1900. Great photo!
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. After reading about the cottage, I discovered that I could walk down the path and see the side and the front of this building, so I may put that trip on my list, and see more of this, and of course, take a photograph of two to share with you all.