Thursday, August 12, 2021

The Old Hay Rake


I took a bazillion photographs on the trip to Stellafane, so now I am going to get back to posting them, at least until Amy and Lady Vivian return from Montauk in a few days!  So this is the Vermont Welcome Center and they have old farm equipment located around the grounds.  I believe my grandfather Spencer had something similar to this hay rake.  I remember as a child, on visits to the farm in Guilford, Connecticut, I would see my grandfather hitch a hay rake to a team of two horses and first cut the hay in the field, and then use this machine to rake it into rows.  Then he and my father and uncle would use pitchforks to put the hay on a hay wagon then drive it into the barn, and then use the rakes to put the hay into the hay mow.  Man, that was serious work!  Later my grandfather bought a tractor, and then they would rake the cut hay into rows, and they would hire someone with a hay baler to make hay bales.  So wonderful they have this equipment on display.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The scenery in this photo is wonderful. I love the flowers in the fields and the beautiful evergreen trees in the background. So peaceful. Interesting piece of history about family farming. Even with the equipment, it sounds like it was hard labor. Trace

Anonymous said...

What a lovely scene and photo I immediately thought of the Guilford farm and it brought back so many wonderful memories. Of course I enjoyed playing in the hay barn and climbing into the lofts or jumping off. I did not do hard labor.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

A wonderful country scene bringing back my own childhood memories of a small family farm in Virginia. Life seemed so much easier back then!

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you all for your memories of the farms from our childhoods!

Anonymous said...

I love the feeling of open fields with wild flowers and big green trees. I can always remember the smell of the hay barn and going up into the loft. So many good memories from the family farm. betsey