Tuesday, December 5, 2023

A New Island on Long Island


I really love this photograph because of its subtlety.  It was really dark, as you can see, when I finished my walk the other night.  When I got back to the bottom of my street I was so surprised to see this sandbar surrounded by water.  In all the years I have lived here, since 1966 I have never seen a sandbar going in this direction.  Usually they are parallel with the shore!  So I photographed it, and when I got home I found that I really loved this, both for its design but more for the deep gray color and the few lights from across the harbor reflected in the water.  I had no idea that I would like this photograph so much, when I took it.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! 57 years and this is a first! Lovely photo. I think of so many sandbars at Fort Trumbull beach, but they were always parallel to the shore.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

The near monochromatic effect of this evening photograph is very pleasing to the eye. What surprises me the most is how still the bay is with no hint of any gentle wind or tide to disturb the stillness of the water. A very cool shot with reflected light on the far shore and the sandbar seemingly out of place.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scene! Love the color of the sky and water. Trace

Anonymous said...

How strange to see a sandbar when there is nothing else showing low tide except some soft ripples on the water. Betsey

Richard Loretoni said...

Hi Ken,
Spectacular photo on what to leave in and what to leave out.
My guess is it was all done behind the lens. Just a visual feast!

Rich Loretoni