Thursday, December 28, 2023

Pick Your Favorite, Please.


I passed by this old factory building on Lincoln Boulevard on an overcast day and the corrugated galvanized metal stood out instantly.  I thought "I need to get back here when there is no traffic, so that I can photograph this!"  That's how this building jumped out at me!  One evening just before sunset we were driving from Amy & Gus' home to Liz and Sarah's home and traffic was light.  As we approached this building I asked Liz to stop because traffic was light enough that I could get a shot.  So this is the black and white image.


I actually "saw" this photograph as a color shot.  I tend to see color photographs more than I see black and white photographs.  So this is what I shot.  One thing, by the way, is that I saw this building first in overcast light.  I did not have a chance to photograph it in overcast light, however.  I wonder what that would look like compared to this.  But I take the "gift" of this building in this light and I am happy with the photograph.  I sent both photographs to Stan to see what he thought.  I won't tell you which photograph he preferred.  But I decided to put the two photographs up for a vote, as I have done before, and I always really enjoy your choices and your comments.  OK, so here's the surprise.  This building is a club!  It says by the door, when I got close, that only 21 and older are allowed!  The giveaway, now that I know it's a club is the nice logo on the top of the facade, AND the three lights that light up the name of the club.  What a surprise.  I thought it was an old machine shop or something.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I immediately chose the black and white photo as I thought this was an old abandoned building and the B&W was fitting. Now that I know it is an active club for people to enjoy, perhaps I should change my mind. :-)
Joan

ken schwarz said...

I totally get why you felt compelled to photograph this run down old industrial building on Lincoln Street. But what caught my eye was the way the late afternoon sun illuminated various elements within the scene. For me, the color version did a better job highlighting each of the elements.

Anonymous said...

I was afraid I would spend too much time going back and forth trying to decide based on your explanations of the two photos....so my choice based on just a quick look at each one .....is the color one.....warm and pleasing to the eye.
N.

Anonymous said...

I prefer the color photo because of the lovely golden light. I thought the black and white made it look like an average industrial building which was what it probably started out as. Nice that the owners turned it into a club. Betsey