Saturday, December 9, 2023

December Skies


When I went for my walk yesterday, late in the day, I only got about 30 feet down the street before I looked up and saw these clouds behind the empty branches of trees.  My thought was ""Yes, that looks exactly like a December should look!  When I saw this I thought of these first four lines of Robert Frosts's "My November Guest:"  “My sorrow, when she’s here with me, Thinks these dark days of autumn rain Are beautiful as days can be; She loves the bare, the withered tree; She walks the sodden pasture lane.”  I almost want to print the whole poem, but I won't because you can find it using Google, of course.  Even though his poem was about November, and even though it's not raining, I still think my photograph and his poem go nicely together.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have always quoted several Robert Frost Poems. I read the entire poem and although I think it is sad, I do think you have a perfect match with your photo.
Joan

Anonymous said...

It is true that there is something beautiful about the air, colors and lighting of late Autumn. I have enjoyed all of the blog's nature photos this season that have captured this beauty. I'd never heard of this Frost poem and read it and the interpretation of it, and it is lovely, sweet and sad. A great photo and perfect poem to go with it. Trace