Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Airplanes, Airplanes, Airplanes!


So I am in Virginia, 20 miles from Washington, DC, for a photo conference. Fortunately, the conference location is just around the corner from the Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center of the National Air and Space Museum. The original museum is on the mall downtown and it still open. This one opened 9 years ago, and is HUGE. Inside this giant hangar they have the B-29 "Enola Gay," a Boeing 707, a Lockheed Constellation, a Concord, the SR-71 supersonic spy plane, a Space Shuttle, and about a billion other aircraft. It is just stunning. So I wandered around drinking it all in, and photographing, and when they threw me out at closing time, I was on my hands and knees. What an amazing day! To spend this much time looking at airplanes all day is good for what ails you!

3 comments:

Photodude Images said...

...and the Enola Gay!!!

Anonymous said...

Sam thinks that if they have a Connie, all the other aircraft, older or younger, are mere commentary.

Ken Spencer said...

Oh man, the Enola Gay was the first airplane I went to see, and I was sure I had put it on the list. Duh!

And seeing the Concorde up close is a thrill and a half, as much as I love the connie. It was truly awe inspiring - I have never seen a Concorde in person before.