Thursday, March 29, 2012

Uncle Paul 1921 - 2012


I am in Connecticut for the wake and funeral of my uncle Paul Clarke. He was the last of 5 Clarke children including my mom, and now they are all gone. He was such a cool uncle - he knew cars and boats and electricity and could fix anything. He had a garage with some antique cars in it - they all needed restoration, of course. I had not realized that he was a sergeant in the U.S. Army, and that he had served in WWII in central Europe, southern France, and Africa. I remember when I was an 8th grader, going on a boat trip with him, from Connecticut over to Sag Harbor, Long Island. I never dreamed I would actually live on Long Island. He was an inspiration for me - when I saw that he knew how to fix anything, I realized that I could probably learn that myself, and I did.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss, Ken. Indeed, you have followed your uncle's great example and have garnered knowledge about so many things that you generously share through your photos and descriptions. I think many of us who were close to our aunts and uncles when we were kids forget how important and influential they were. We adsorb so much that we can't even imagine at the time it's happening. May everyone who has been a loving aunt or uncle know that there are nieces and nephews out there who love you, admire you, and appreciate all the many positive things you've brought to our lives.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful comment from Anonymous! We have to remember the wonderful the times spent with Aunts, Uncles & Cousins. We need to continue the traditions of family get togethers!
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Indeed, just wonderful and thoughtful comments from Anonymous. Thank you so much, and thanks for reminding us to tell people who we admire, that we appreciate them.

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful. Sam actually recognizes some components of his face in yours. Aaaah, genetics.