Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Wiggleys


Oh man! He's doing it again... Driving and photographing... At night, no less... Anyhow, the Verrazano Narrows bridge is just stunning, both night and day. At night the lights on the suspension cables look like strings of pearls. Of course, there is no way to pull over to take a proper picture, so you know what I did. Of course since I was moving over a bumpy road, the picture was going to be shaky or blurry. I shot anyway, and I was really surprised at how interesting the little squiggles turned out. I hate to say it, but I think the squiggles made the photo more interesting. Or, it may just be a cheap trick, to try and make up for a lack of creativity on my part... :-) Oh and here is the really cool thing I discovered: Because of thermal expansion of the steel riser cables, the bridge roadway is 12 feet lower in summer than in winter. Twelve feet! Are you kidding me? That is astounding! Don't you love coming here to learn important stuff like this?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do! Thank you

Anonymous said...

I do too. But also, and I'll bet that others who follow you will agree, it has probably also made each of us more observant of the little things we see each day. Many times now I'll see something and think I should take a picture of that. But of course I don't carry a camera around with me (and don't have one of those phones) and don't have your eye for composition. So I enjoy all your pictures, even the ones you may consider mundane, and the little lessons too.

Anonymous said...

I love the photos and the lessons! But now I would be afraid to drive over that bridge if it flucuates 12 feet!
Joan

ken schwarz said...

Well, this is another great drive and shoot photo! The wiggley effect is interesting and I am amazed at how little motion there was shooting one handed (presumably you did have one hand on the wheel) while driving over a bumpy road. And who knew the bridge cables lengthened by 12' feet in the summer? Now some of your fans are concerned about your risky driving habits but the real risk was driving at night in Brooklyn without a 9mm Beretta!