Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Cairn, Revisited


During the winter, the person who builds cairns at the beach ceased their work. Just a normal rocky beach. So I was pleasantly surprised, now that it is warm, and now that I can rest after my bike ride, to find two cairns waiting in front of my favorite bench. I know I photographed these before, but when I saw what they had done, I knew I had to photograph THIS one. It is all about the balance, and the complex arrangements of rocks. They must have had help. The first thing I noticed is the second rock from the bottom is cantilevered out from the much smaller rock supporting it. And then all the rocks above that long one hold it down. Makes me wonder if the builder had help while building this. Oh, and the shape of the finished "sculpture" is just fascinating. And by now it is probably gone, after the tide came in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is interesting. I've posted a couple of comments on your blog. They appear on the left column, and then when I go to look at the other comments that have been made, I see mine has been removed. Do you censor comments made on this blog? I assure you, my comments are not suggestive, nor rude. Is there some reason why you delte them?

Ken Spencer said...

I don't remove comments, unless someone has written something offensive, or if it is a spam link. So when you leave a comment, and close the window, do you see that your comment has registered? And then when you come back later it is gone? I am not aware of this happening. It is a bit difficult because I think there are a number of people who post anonymously. Do you think it would be useful to get an ID (I see there is a way to create an Open ID) and see if having some kind of ID would make a difference. Please let me know if this happens again. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Oh no - it can't be gone...It's really amazing in the design and form. bsk