Saturday, March 3, 2012

Mondrian


I was riding the up escalators to get to the top floor of the galeries, and as I approached the floor, there is this giant window looking out on the rest of the museum. It looked like a possible photo, so then I rode the down escalator, and got another glimpse out the window, but I realized that I couldn't compose properly when moving. Then I discovered if I stood at the railing on the top floor, I could carefully move the camera until I got the perfect composition. It involved moving the camera as little as an inch to make sure that vertical window mullion lined up exactly with the tall building behind. With all the verticals and horizontals in the frame, I realized that it reminded me a bit of a Piet Mondrian painting. Funny that should happen at the Museum of Modern Art, of all places.

4 comments:

Fred Krellenstein said...

great photo..and I loved the Mondrian reference

Ken Spencer said...

Thanks Fred. I mean it is not *exactly* Mondrian-like in its appearance, but there were so many pure verticals and horizontals, that he came to mind. Thanks for leaving the comment. The comments keep me going.

Anonymous said...

One of your best, thinks Sam. This is uniquely the "Ken Spencer vision" that makes it- an entire environment defined by one seemingly small image.

Anonymous said...

Perfect composition indeed - great shot! bsk