Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Observing the Moon and Planets


Our club had an outreach event this evening, where a bunch of us brought telescopes to a middle school, which the son of one of our members attends. The response before the event was so-so, but at the last minute there was a crunch and we had over 50 people, adults and students, show up to look through our telescopes. For me, I think there is nothing about astronomy that is more rewarding than showing the moon, and planets to people who may have never looked through a telescope before. I spent some time at the end of our session with a father and his daughter - she could not take her eye from the eyepiece! They both had questions about what they were looking at, and their fascination was, for me, such a wonderful affirmation of why I do astronomy.

No comments: