Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Old Wallet

Funny thing about wallets. You buy a new one, and it is hard and sharp-edged, and you feel it in your pocket all the time. After a year or so, the leather softens, and you become less aware it is there. After a while, it picks up a lovely patina, and then a certain character because of the first signs of wear. Later on, it begins to show more severe wear. And then one day you realize that it has worn so much that it is beginning to fall apart and time to buy a new wallet and start the process all over again. And I find it difficult to part with a "friend" who has traveled so many miles with me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like it is time. Glad I carry a purse and do not have to keep a wallet in my back pocket.
Joan

Photodude Images said...

Same with underwear, but please don't share.

Anonymous said...

Nice sentiment but I think it is time for a new one :-)I think back to your boat shoes...bsk

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can almost smell the leather. And I guess I've just seen it so much, but it really looks like *your* wallet. And how beautifully written. "The Dad" can really write...
—Amy

Ken Spencer said...

Amy: Thank you! That is a wonderful compliment, coming from you! I am touched.

Chuck said...

Surely you noticed that it seems to have an "eye" in the lower left corner which tends to be accompanied by a sad "smile" in the folds of the corner. "He's terminating me", it seems to say....