Monday, November 26, 2012

When I Was a Kid...

When I was a kid there were always pine cones around. A number of large trees were lined up along the road behind our house, and we walked by them on the way to school. My sisters and I always picked them up, and brought them home. Funny thing is, I can't remember what we did with them. Our mom used some of them for Christmas decorations, if I remember correctly. Anyhow, when we were at Pat & Bethany's up in Massachusetts I walked under the trees in the back yard, and there were pine needles all over the ground, and these beautiful pine cones. I love the scent of them, of course, but I love how magnificently they are constructed. They are such beautiful objects.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never met a pinecone I didn't like. Start collecting them when you're in a field of pine trees and it becomes an addiction. Their perfectly-formed bodies make each one seem prettier than the next, and I want them all. They're lightweight but sturdy, a miracle of nature that makes them kid-friendly and pleasing to adults, too. I even like the ones that get gussied up with glitter on their tips and sparkle relentlessly, no matter how dim the lights. A true gift of nature.

Ken Spencer said...

Wow, what a lovely comment! Thank you so much for your observations, and for helping me think I am not the only one out there who is enjoying these wonderful things!