Sunday, January 29, 2017

Dismissal of the Catechumens


I love some of the words used in the Catholic church.  They are based in history, which is why they seem more complex than necessary to explain some simple things.  A catechumen from the Greek is "one being instructed" a person receiving instruction in the principles of the Christian religion with a view to baptism.  Each week at Mass, about half way through the service the people who are studying to join the church are brought to the altar and a blessing is said over them by the priest and the congregation, then they leave the service for instruction in a small group with their sponsors.  I have watched this scene so often that today I decided I would record this sight which is so common, but moving, when you think about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I would like to use this picture for a book I am writing on the Mass. Please contact me at dan(at)ampersandmiami.com