Sunday, January 22, 2017

Grace's Blue World


This photograph happened in an unusual way.  Stan came out to the house to do some more videos for his teaching project, and I had set up a tungsten light in an umbrella to do the lighting.  We were sitting around taking a break during the filming, and Grace jumped up on the radiator to look out the window.  It was dusk, and the light outside the window was blue.  If I was using a flash as light, the light on Grace would have been more blue.  But I was using tungsten light, which is yellow compared to daylight.  So Grace was yellow in color because of the light.  When I removed the yellow color in the picture to make her fur white again, it just added more blue to the scene.  I just love this brilliant blue, which you might even think of an accident.  Well, that's how photographs are made sometimes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grace is a beautiful cat.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Thanks! And she is endlessly fascinating in her behavior. She pays attention to EVERYTHING. Sam, on the other hand, could care less about what goes on in the world... :-)

Anonymous said...

She's so beautiful! And I think I followed the science of light and color there, but not sure. Thanks for the explanation, though. -Amy