Thursday, October 15, 2020

American Vernacular


We were on our way to Dunkin' for the coffee for the beach, and as we were driving down Sea Cliff avenue, I caught a quick flash of this scene as we drove past.  Funny what you can see in maybe 5 seconds!  So I waited until after we were done at the beach, and I dropped Kathy off and I drove back over here and took some photographs.  Vernacular architecture is described as a built environment that is based upon local needs; defined by the availability of particular materials indigenous to its particular region; and reflects local traditions and cultural practices.  So usually I think of it as some small building in a rural area out west.  But I thought of this building as being traditional for around the northeast.  Of course I love the picket fence and the American flag.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The whole scene looks "Northeast" with the yellow house, porch, white picket fence, green grass, and colorful oak leaves. So pretty! I'm glad you went back to photograph this. betsey