Monday, October 19, 2020

I Love This Bridge


I love this bridge!  The old bridge that crossed the Hudson River was called the Tappan Zee Bridge.  It was built in 1955, and after the new bridge was built, the old bridge was demolished in 2017.  Both the old bridge, as well as its replacement, are the longest bridges in New York State.  The old bridge was of steel cantilever construction while this new bridge is a very sophisticated and very modern twin cable-stayed bridge.  It is also very beautiful!  I never tire of photographing this new bridge every time I cross it.  This new bridge was named by the current governor, Andrew Cuomo, for his father, a former governor, Mario Cuomo.  This naming of the new bridge is very controversial, and in spite of the new name, almost everyone still calls it the Tappan Zee Bridge.



 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spectacular photo. It seems hard to believe that 3 years have passed. I did not know they gave the new bridge a new name. It reminds me of the Quinnipiac River bridge in New Haven that they renamed when the new bridge was completed and everyone still refers to it as the "Q" Bridge.
Joan

Anonymous said...

So dramatic and futuristic! Makes me think of a movie in the year 2075...It is spectacular! betsey