Saturday, October 3, 2020

The Moon and Mars!


Yesterday evening a friend of mine from our astronomy club posted a photograph of the Moon and Mars rising at 8PM.  It was a beautiful photograph with a yellow Moon on one side of the photograph, and Mars on the other. At about 12:30 AM last night, I was just closing my computer and I thought I would go take a look at the full moon, knowing that the moon was moving closer to Mars since Steve’s photo from earlier in the evening. I was stunned when I went out the back door and saw the Moon with Mars just above it!  They were so close to each other!  It was spectacular just looking at it with the naked eye!  So I came in the house, grabbed a camera and a 400mm telephoto lens, put it on a tripod, and got this photograph!  If you enlarge the image by clicking on it, you will see that Mars has an orange color to it!  Looking at the pair directly with my eye, Mars was so much brighter than in the photograph.


 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was beautiful in the sky last night! Great photo and I like the way the color of Mars was captured when the photo is enlarged. Trace

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photo.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I was happy that the sky was clear to see the full moon. But your photo is wonderful so I can view details. Mars really does seem so close! betsey