Tuesday, October 20, 2020

No Dunkin' Donuts - Week 32


So we went to the beach for our coffee and donuts this morning and sat in our sand chairs in a misting drizzle.  It was warm enough and really nice sitting by the water.  At some point I noticed a man up the beach with just bathing trunks on, and then he put on a bright orange swimming cap.  Then he slowly walked into the water - I thought he might start swimming into the harbor.  Instead, he slowly walked out up to his shoulders, then put his hands to his face, and bent over and slowly immersed his head in the water.  After a while he stood up, and then he put his head in the water again.  It seemed more like a ritual.  After a while he slowly walked out of the water, dried himself off, and left.  It was nice to see his whole, calm process.  I love this picture because it is so unexpected, with a seemingly normal scene of the water, and then suddenly you see a head with an orange swimming cap.  Please click on this picture to see it in more detail.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your story and orange swim cap to brighten a dreary day.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

After reading your blog comment, my thought went to the water temperature. Not life threatening for October but refreshingly brisk at 62 degree F according to the gauge at the Harry Tappen Marina.

Ken Spencer said...

Primo: Yeah, I went down to the water after he left, and put my hand in. I guessed 68 degrees, because I remember that temp because it was the temp that film was supposed to be processed at. I guess I was wrong.

Anonymous said...

Strange. Unexpected. But I like the way you write about the "whole, calm process". betsey