Saturday, July 23, 2022

Coyote!


A day or so after we first arrived at the Lake house. Liz was standing on the back deck and said she saw a small, thin Coyote quietly walking on a path in the woods surrounding the house.  Then she saw it one other time when we were both in kayaks touring the lake.  I never got to see one, however.  Until, on the last day and we were just about packed up, we saw this one cross the road, and unconcerned with us, walked up the street behind us.  I had the trunk open so grabbed my small Canon and it's 400mm equivalent lens, and managed to get this photograph.  When Liz mentioned how thin the Coyote looked to the man who owns the house, he said it was OK and it looked thin because it was shedding its fur because of the heat.  Well, OK, but it sure looks thin to me.  So I looked up some information about them and found this: "The species is versatile, able to adapt to and expand into environments modified by humans. It is enlarging its range by moving into urban areas in the eastern U.S. and Canada."  "Primarily carnivorous, its diet consists mainly of deer, rabbits, hares, rodents, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, and invertebrates, though it may also eat fruits and vegetables on occasion."  I am guessing this one may have trouble finding enough food to eat in this urban environment. 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He does look so thin and sickly. I hope the home owner is right and he is just shedding fur in this heat.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Wow! He looks sick to me. Poor creature. Probably lack of food and intense heat...betsey