Friday, July 29, 2022

The Dark Skies of Vermont!


So I am in Vermont for the Stellafane Conventon.  I had hoped to do some observing with the telescope I brought from home.  It was clear for most of the day but at sunset approached, there started to be clouds in the sky.  So it looked unlikely that I would be able to view the sky with my telescope tonight.  So I came down off the hill and drove to the B&B.  When I got out of my car, a large part of the sky was visible with clouds around.  So I set up my camera and did a few wide-angle photographs of the sky.  This is the big dipper which everyone knows and it stands out beautifully in the dark skies of Vermont!  If you click on the image, it will be easier to see the stars in the enlarged image.

 

5 comments:

Ron said...

What a great photo! Where we live we are lucky to be in a dark sky preserve. We can walk to the end of our driveway and see the Big Dipper every cloudless night. By the way it is positioned, I can almost tell the time of year that it is. Such a wonderful constellation. (Orion is on the way from the other direction!!)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo. One of the few Constellations I know. It is too bright around me to see many stars.
Joan

Anonymous said...

What a great photo! The night sky is beautiful and the big dipper so clear! Trace

ken schwarz said...

I have a celestial question resulting from your post of the Big Dipper.

The Big Dipper is a wonderful and very distinctive constellation in the nighttime sky and my eyes are invariably draw to the North star. Living where I do, star gazing is challenged because of light pollution and hazy skies caused by excessively humid air. My memories of the North Star from many decades ago was that is was much brighter and more easily seen from surrounding stars. Surely, the star can't be burning out during my relatively short time on this planet - so what's up with the North Star not shinning so brightly?

Do I need to have my eyes checked?

Anonymous said...

I love seeing so many stars beside the Big Dipper. It is so difficult to view the night stars here because of the light pollution. I understand a lot of places/buildings use street lighting to keep areas safer but it sure is hard to go anywhere close by. betsey