Saturday, July 2, 2022

Making Old Things New


What the heck is this?  Am I putting my laundry out to dry?  Well, no, not exactly.  So here is the story of why there is a freshly painted twenty pound steel gear hanging on a clothesline in my back yard.  When we moved into our house back in 1970 I found in the garage four large and heavy gears.  The man who lived for years here owned a garage in town where he fixed cars and trucks.  The gears were so large they had to have come from a truck transmission, I think.  So I kept them, of course, because, well, you never know...  Cut to 20 years later, and when I started photographing the night sky, I needed a weight to hang from my camera tripod to steady it when doing long exposures with my camera.  It makes the tripod more solid and less likely to shake in a strong wind.  So I thought of the gears!


This is the largest, heaviest gear and I have used it as a weight for about 30 years now.  But it was always rusty and covered with cobwebs and dark brown in color from the rust.  That can be quite a hazard if I have it lying in the grass while setting up my tripod and camera, and it would really hurt to accidentally stub my toe on it in the dark.  And when I drive out east to photograph there, then it makes a mess on the rug on the floor behind the driver's seat.   So the other day I had a brilliant idea!  I started with a wire brush, and after 20 minutes of that most of the loose rust was gone.  So I sprayed it with the red Rust-Oleum primer and then with a semi-gloss white that I happened to have around.  I could not believe how beautiful this old gear looked when I was done painting it!  So it won't dirty the car when I put it on the floor anymore and I won't trip on it in the dark!  What a great solution.


Oh, and this is one of the other large gears, and this is what the other gear looked like before I cleaned and painted it.  What a transformation.  Always good for the soul to make something old and rusted look beautiful again!  Oh, and I wonder if anyone else ever took an old truck gear and painted it white?  Seems unlikely, don't you think?




 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken Kleitz will appreciate this since he has used powder coating on several of his father's old tools. They look brand new! Now that your gear looks so nice, you can use it without messing up your car! betsey

Anonymous said...

Smart thinking so you can see it in the grass and don't break a toe. It is hard to imagine a gear weighing 20 lbs. What is the width of this gear? Nicely done Ken.
Joan

Ron said...

Brilliant!