Wednesday, July 27, 2022

In My Happy Place!


Today I drove to Springfield, Vermont to attend the Stellafane Convention for amateur telescope makers.  Traffic was really light the whole way, so I got off I-91 and drove over to Windsor Locks, and went to the New England Air Museum.  I have been there once or twice before but that was years ago.  So another visit was in order.  I saw that they had a North American F-100 Super Sabre on display but there was a chain across the steps leading to the cockpit.  I was talking with one of the docents, who had been an Air Force pilot and asked if I could go up and look in the cockpit.  He removed the chain and said that I could SIT in it!  Wow.  This aircraft is special to me because when I was in the US Air Force I got to refuel this kind of aircraft, and I loved seeing these supersonic fighter jets coming and going, and the takeoffs in full afterburner were impressive to see and hear, particularly at night!  So to finally sit in one was the dream of the 12-year old kid I am!  And the docent was kind enough to use my camera to take a photograph of me.


This is the really impressive ceiling of the entrance to the museum!  Just a stunning view when you first walk in the front door.  So, yes, today I was in my happy place!



 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I am so impressed and happy that they allowed you to sit in the cockpit. Oh Happy Day! :-)
Great Photo. Enjoy your weekend.
Joan

Anonymous said...

What a way to start your weekend! You sound so happy. Glad the docent took your picture so we could see. betsey