Saturday, June 19, 2021

I Love Going to "Fun City"


I love to come to "Fun City" because I see photographs everywhere.  I was walking from Penn Station over to Herald Square to catch a train to get uptown to Central Park, and I was on a different street than I normally use.  Suddenly I walked by this restaurant and my life flashed before my eyes!  Sixty-two years ago I came to the city on a high school class trip.  Somehow before the trip I heard about Tad's Steakhouse in Times Square, and I think they offered a steak dinner for $1.19.  I couldn't believe that, so I just looked it up.  The dinner was actually $1.09 and it included a steak, baked potato and salad!   Having a steak dinner in Times Square was the most exciting thing I could think of - forget the Museum of Modern Art, where a few of us went afterwards.  See what happens to a kid from the Connecticut woods when they get to the big city?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me smile and it is hard to imagine a steak dinner and salad for $1.09. Many years now as a New Yorker and loving all the museums and city life. My first trip to NY was with Dad. He wanted us to go to a baseball game at Ebbets Field before it was torn down. I don't remember much about the game, only walking the streets and so much smelly garbage. I was probably 9 years old.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Heady stuff for a 16 year old. Cannot believe the price of the steak dinner was only $1.09! Going to the Museum of Modern Art all those years ago and you are still going to museums - love that! betsey