Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Look What I Did!


Look what I did!  All by myself!  Aren't you impressed?  Oh, what is this?  Liz asked if I could install the new numbers she bought for their new house.  Sure!  Easy Peasy, right? Well, not exactly...  Their house is stucco on the outside, and it is like cement.  So I went to the hardware store and bought a small masonry bit and some plastic anchors, and some small screws.  So I started by drilling one hole for the "3" to start.  Well, it took forever, drilling into cement.  So then we decided to fasten the numbers not with screws, but with Silicone adhesive.  It is really strong and waterproof.  So first I cut a piece of cardboard and held it with a level while Liz taped it to the column with masking tape.  She had letter-spaced the numbers on a piece of paper so I marked the cardboard to know where the letters went.  then I filled the back of the hollow letters with the silicone adhesive, and stood them on the cardboard, and THEN I used some red duct tape to hold them in place overnight!  And it worked perfectly!  Except here it looks like some Egyptian hieroglyphics in red!

 

3 comments:

ken schwarz said...

As I stared ready this, I wondered why Spencer planned to drill holes into stucco to attached house numbers? There is a perfect product for this kind of application called E-6000 Adhesive, which is available at any good hardware store. I first learned of this amazing contact adhesive from a brick mason years ago to reattach a loose brick on my driveway. E-6000 is not great for extreme detail applications (like building models) due to it's viscosity but for strength and durability for a variety of jobs it can't be beat. Every tool box should have a tube of this stuff.

Where you able to return the masonry bit?

Anonymous said...

First glance peaked my curiosity. You are a "jack of all trades" and have taught Liz over the years, the same. Great teamwork!
Joan

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh because I actually have some E-6000 which I bought for a craft project a year ago. Did not like the odor but it worked! Sorry that the drilling didn't work but glad that the silicone adhesive did. betsey