Sunday, June 20, 2021

Window in a Red Building


I love architectural details, and New York City is a goldmine for such things.  I saw this building on 94th street, just east of 3rd avenue, when I was on the way to meet Stan in Central Park.  I have no idea what attracted me to this.  It is a window on the second floor of the building, and there was scaffolding just below it because they are renovating the first floor.  I think it might have been the pediment - the triangular decoration over the window - that caught my eye.  I just thought that this was an interesting composition, with a large window, and then right next to it a smaller window without any decoration.  Strange, huh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is odd, but I thought it was a photo of a door and a narrow window.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

Here's my take. The big window was almost certainly a door perhaps leading to a balcony. The small window is definitely not original to the building. The local architectural review board was apparently on holiday when these changes were made!

Ken Spencer said...

Primo! I like your theory!

Anonymous said...

I thought the large window was a door. The decoration above it is interesting, though. betsey