Thursday, June 10, 2021

Solar Eclipse at Dawn!

 

What a day!  I tried to go to bed early last night, but had a fitful sleep.  I set the alarm for 4:00 AM and then a friend came by and we drove to Stehli Beach, in Bayville, about 20 minutes away.  The weather forecast was not good, but we went anyway.  To our delight, it was clear in the morning, with some thin clouds at the horizon.  This is a partial eclipse of the Sun.  At sunrise the Sun was  mostly covered by the Moon itself.  That is the black circle which is giving the Sun "horns."  It was astounding to watch through my telescope and see the two tips of the horns emerge from Long Island Sound.  For about 10 minutes I could photograph the Sun as the Moon slowly moved off the face of it, as the Sun rose higher.  It was a spectacular sight, and even more moving because of the possibility that because of weather we might not have seen any of this!  Click on this image to see it larger, and have your socks knocked off!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! Stunning! Amazing photo. Trace

ken schwarz said...

Wow! Yes, an absolutely stunning photo! I love the layers of water, land and sky and, of course, the brilliant eclipse! I don't ever remember seeing a photograph capture the sun's "horns" as you have. Obviously, a night's lost sleep was well worth a trip to Bayville. This blog entry will be a tough act to follow!

Anonymous said...

Spectacular photo. Thank you for getting up early and sharing the eclipse with us. I thought of going down to the beach at 5:00 am but I did not. Leave it the brother to capture the only eclipse this year. :-)
Joan

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you got this photo. It is spectacular! I saw the news that it would happen but didn't know if the weather would cooperate. Ecstatic that it did. Gorgeous colors and perfectly shaped "horns". WOW! betsey

Ron said...

So nice to see the Sun smiling on the Earth! Thanks