Thursday, June 24, 2021

I Never Saw One of These Before!


We were driving north on Route 96, north of Trumansburg, in an area that is between two of the Finger lakes - Cayuga Lake and Seneca Lake, when we drove up behind this astounding vehicle.  It was driving at about 50 MPH, which seemed amazing to me, since farm equipment usually travels much slower than that.  And I was stunned that it had such huge tires and was so high above ground.  I guessed that it was some kind of crop spraying device, and that the huge wheels and the chassis so high above the ground meant that it could go down rows of corn without flattening the plants.  We followed it for a while, and I am so glad that we were not in a long line of cars, because I would not have been able to get such a great photograph of it.  There was enough traffic from the opposite direction that I was unable to pass it.  Then I started calculating - I wonder if I could go UNDER it, instead of passing it!  I think that there was room to pass under it, but you will will be pleased to know that suddenly there was a dotted line in the roadway, and no traffic coming in the opposite direction.  Easy pass, and we were up to 65  and on our way.

 

3 comments:

ken schwarz said...

That you even thought of driving under that massive piece of farm equipment makes me think that someone somewhere has probably done it!

Anonymous said...

My first thought was a car could drive under it after seeing the car parallel to it. It is a massive piece of equipment. Happy you reached a passing zone and didn't try anything crazy!
Joan

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! First thought was driving under it. Too scary for me, actually. But I bet some sports car might try it...Never seen a vehicle like this so it's pretty cool! betsey