Saturday, July 24, 2021

Mysterious Flowers


For something new, I am showing you a photograph of some mysterious flowers.  Ok, so they are not "mysterious" flowers at all.  It's just that if a flower is not a Rose, or a Daisy, or a Purple cone flower, then I have NO idea of what it is!  These flowers grow on a chain link fence down near an old boat storage yard.  I don't believe anyone planted them, they are just there.  But they are quite beautiful and brighten my walks down to where the old power plant was.  They are long blossoms that kind of look like trumpets, the blossoms are so long, but viewing them from the front you can't tell how long they are.  Anyone want to solve the "mystery" of what these flowers are?

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I thought it was Trumpet Vine so I looked it up. It is Orange Hummingbird Trumpet Creeper.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and Colorful. Very pretty. Trace

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful coral/orange color! Thanks for looking it up, Joan :-) It is a very pretty flower. betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Hi Joan: Thanks so much for looking up the name of that flower! I really appreciate it. I received a reply via email, from my friend Ginger who I worked with at the paper, and she was the Garden Editor at the time. I thought her reply was illuminating as well. She lives in Austin, Texas: "Trumpet vine, beautiful but aggressive. It grew all over Blake’s garage in Amityville and has probably taken it down by now. It’s on the next door neighbor’s fence and burrows underground to pop up everywhere in our yard. I love it." So there you have it - the mystery is solved! I love all my educated readers! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,
Big thank you to Ginger. I saw that trumpet vine would grow 6 to 8 feet but did not know it was so aggressive. Wisteria is such a beautiful and fragrant flower but it is also invasive. It will wrap and climb around a tree and kill it or burrow under your house shingles and create damage.
Joan