Thursday, July 15, 2021

Traintime is Mask Time


I took the train to Manhattan today to see some exhibits at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  The train from Sea Cliff always stops at the Jamaica station in Queens, so that we can switch from our diesel locomotive, to an electric locomotive, for the trip through the tunnel that runs under the East River.  They don't want that filling up with smoke!  So standing on the platform I was reminded that masks are still required to be worn on the LIRR and on the New York City Subway system.  That's still a great idea with the Delta variant of Covid around.  I was wearing a mask, of course, but it wasn't until I was standing on the platform in Jamaica that I was reminded of this, seeing these two women both wearing masks.  Most people on the train were, although on the way home maybe 10 percent of passengers were not, even though it is required.  I mean, COME ON, get serious - haven't you learned enough already?

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting to me about changing from diesel to electric. Makes sense but I never would have thought of it. It's scary to read that the numbers for people getting Covid are going up because of the new variant. I'm still wearing a mask in the grocery store, shops or pharmacy. Most people do not. Seems unfair to the workers! betsey

Ken Spencer said...

You are right, it is good for the workers that we still wear masks! Good for you (and me!) that we continue to wear them.