Sunday, May 3, 2020

Afternoon in a Kayak


Now that the weather is warmer, I am seeing more people out on the water, which is nice.  Saw a sailboat out on the harbor the other day, but it was too far away to get a good photograph.  So I was thrilled to see this kayaker making his way up the harbor toward Long Island Sound.  So I started photographing him with a telephoto lens as he moved closer to me.  It was not that much of a photograph, until he got to a spot where the sun was behind him, and then there was a small white wake trailing him, and that made the shot a bit more interesting.  So here's something that I should NOT have done...


I opened the all-gray photograph that you saw at the top of this post in Photoshop, and then I cranked up the saturation.  I cranked it WAY up.  This is not a good thing.  There is this thing that a lot of inexperienced photographers do, because books and articles tell them to do, which is to crank up the colors to make boring photographs more interesting.  It doesn't work, and it makes the photographs unbelievable.  I like my photographs to look like the real world.  Having said that, this IS kind of interesting, isn't it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the natural and you can see the blue boat, yellow oar and orange life vest amongst the grey day. The pink is way too much for my eyes.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Hi Joan: Yeah, it is a terrible thing to do this to a photograph! Sorry, I was just showing all the bad things a photographer could do!

Anonymous said...

I like the natural photo also but the second colorful photo is kind of cool!! Glad you showed us. betsey