Thursday, May 14, 2020

White Chair, White Lawn


It is Spring and the plants are producing chlorophyl again!  Why does this matter?  Because when I photograph plants with chlorophyl in them, with my specially modified camera that shows everything in infrared light, the grass and foliage appear bright, because chlorophyl reflects a LOT of infrared light!  So this is a magical thing in terms of photography.  When Fall arrives and the leaves turn brown because the chlorophyl goes away, I put away my IR camera because there is nothing in the landscape to transform in this magical way.  But when Spring arrives, it is time to get the camera out of hibernation and go look for photographs in a different world!  This is kind of a cool photograph, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I look at this photo, I can't imagine a world without color. It is an interesting photo but seems almost lifeless without the color. Trace

Anonymous said...

It makes me think of a cold winter day with snow on the trees. Strange but calm.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Such interesting comments! thank you both. Trace: It's funny, having started photographing as a kid, and learning to develop film and make prints, I think of black & white just as a different way of seeing. I love you comment, and I need to think about "the absence of color." A really interesting idea. When I look at Ansel Adams photographs, for some reason I don't think of his photographs as "missing color." So your comment has really gotten me thinking! thanks for that!

Anonymous said...

I love seeing color but I do like black and white photos also. I love the "texture" of the trees and how lush they look. betsey