Monday, May 18, 2020

Look.at.the.Hair!


You HAVE to click on this photograph, so you can see my hair in all its glory! Yikes!  This was in 1981.  I used to go to work like this with this mop of hair!  Wow.  I remember when we went to visit my mom and dad in Connecticut, I would walk in the back door, my father would take one look at me and say "Get a haircut!"   I still laugh when I think of that.  I found a bunch of color slides and black & white negatives in the garage, so I brought them in and looked through them.  They were all from back when I was flying a seaplane over in Port Washington.  I flew with an instructor for maybe 20 hours and then took a checkride and got my seaplane rating!  What was really cool was, they would rent me the plane whenever I wanted.  So instead of going to some airport to fly, I would just go over to Port, and go flying.  It was absolutely thrilling, flying the seaplane.  It is a speedboat, and an airplane, all in one!  One day I wanted to get photographs of me flying, so I set Kathy up with a camera and telephoto lens, down on the beach at the end of our street, then I went and flew the seaplane over from Port Washington, and did takeoffs and landings while she took photos.  I love having these photos.  The company sold this seaplane, and eventually sold their property, and got out of the seaplane business, sad to say.  About 8 years ago I accompanied Kathy to Seattle for a conference she was attending.  I found a seaplane base, and with an instructor,  flew a seaplane again for an hour or so.  It was magical.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL you did have a big head of hair and I can imagine Dad telling you to get a haircut. Beautiful plane and wonderful story and photos.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

Today's blog sure brings back memories. I went through the long hair thing too and have a treasured 16 x 20 black and white Hasselblad portrait you took of me wearing a Greek fisherman's hat and black sweater over a denim shirt. I looked like a grownup version of the kid on a bucket of Dutch Boy paint. And I will always remember the time we drove over to Port Washington and you took me up for a ride in that seaplane cruising over the waters of Manhasset Bay the western end of Long Island Sound. Thanks for the Memories!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't even remember that your hair was that long. But I can hear dad saying "get a haircut". Never heard the whole story about how you got your seaplane rating and where you flew. Great idea to have Kathy take pictures of you flying. Very cool! I love reading Ken Schwarz' memories of flying with you :-) betsey