Monday, September 14, 2020

Oh No! My Bike Store is Closed Forever!


I needed a part for Kathy's bicycle, so I went to my nearby bicycle store. "Road Runners"in Glen Cove.  Going back 13 years I went to a different bike shop, and was really friendly with the owner and his wife.  Then one day in December of 2015, they said they were going out of business because the landlord had increased the rent.  I hated to see them go, but then I found this store.  It has been owned by three generations - the grandfather started the business, and then passed it to his son.  When I started going there, the father and son were working there together.  The son was a great bike mechanic and worked on my racing bike a couple of times.  He was great.  I was in shock when I got out of the car and saw the closing sign!  It is a terrible loss, the closing of a neighborhood bike shop after 55 years!



 

4 comments:

Ron said...

😪

Anonymous said...

Very sad news after such a long history. I feel like more people are out riding now than 25 years ago. I wonder if it was just time to retire and not a result of 2020 Covid 19 Pandemic.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Sad news! I thought more people were buying bikes during this pandemic. For whatever rest, it is really sad when a local business closes after such a time. betsey

Liz said...

... you wanna run a bike shop in your own retirement? I heard one is up for sale ... haha.
Really, though, this makes me sad. It’s hard for small shops to compete with big-box stores and Amazon, I think.