Friday, September 11, 2020

Scanning History 6


This photograph is called a "Photo Illustration."  It is a completely set up and posed photograph.  I forget what the story was that needed an illustration.  I think it involved childhood poverty, but I am not sure where.  Maybe just childhood poverty in general.  So they told me they needed a photograph to illustrate the story. It wasn't a news story, because NOTHING can be set up or posed for news stories.  Anyhow, I dreamed this shot up, using an old window in the garage, that was dirty and badly needed painting.  Liz was the subject and I dressed her in an old tee-shirt that was way too large.  I used both graphite and powdered chocolate to make the tee-shirt and Liz's face "dirty."  Maybe a few drops of glycerine to put a tear on her face.  I think the old doll with no clothes on was a finishing touch.  I was really pleased with how this came out.  Of course the question is, "What kind of a father would do this to his daughter!"  Uhhh...  a creative father, maybe?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a very creative father. Liz looks so sad and lonely in this photo and her doll with no clothes because she is living in poverty. Love this photo, because I know otherwise.
Joan

Anonymous said...

WOW! This photo is incredible. If I didn't recognize Liz, I would believe that this child was poor and dirty and so sad. Genius to dress and "stage" her. Love this. betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you both for your kind words about one of my favorite photos!